Thursday, November 3, 2016

October Blog Post

    After watching the documentary on Disney movies I felt really confused. I understood all of the harmful stereotypes in those childhood classics. At the same time though as child I never recognized it to be that way. I would watch the animals on movie and never associate them to someone of color. Now that I am older I do see that that was what was being done. It makes me feel uncomfortable to know that as child I had no idea how disturbing and backwards the movies I idolized were. I personally, when watching the films were so mesmerized by the art though. I never realized that the animators of these movies were using their talents to create hurtful stereotypes of people of color and women.
    Being a white girl I cannot relate to the difficulties of not being represented in the media, and feel unsuit to talk about that. I can though relate to the problems of body image and women in these movies. I know growing up that I often did not feel like I could connect with this idea of what beauty was. I never felt beautiful growing up and I still don't feel beautiful as a young women. I don't know if this idea started from me thinking that in order to be beautiful I had to look like a Disney princess with a thin waist, big hips and bust, tiny nose, big eyes and lips, long lashes, shiny hair, and perfect teeth. The list could go on about how I was told I need to look in order to be pretty. These ideas have been indoctrinated into the way I see myself and think of others. Instead of looking at the differences in each others and seeing them as being just a part of who we are. We view these differences as a something to be ashamed of.

    Fortunately now we are seeing a wider representation in movies. We have had The Princess and The Frog with a black female lead, we have a had Frozen where the girls save each other not the guys, and lastly the newest movie Moana which portrays a female protagonist. Whose body looks likes a "normal" girls. I believe that old disney movies are not meant to be harmful for the future. Instead, I believe that we can look to them as a lesson of the past.  We should create discussions with those close to us, on how we need to stay clear of harmful stereotypes and accept differences of those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment