Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Alisha Elson January Blog Post


The reading that really resonated the most with me this month was Ann Russo’s, “Between Speech and Silence: Reflections of Accountability.” As I get older, I am becoming more aware of the divide in the world between men and women, and the privileges, or lack thereof, that each gender has. I have taken an interest in feminism and women’s studies over the last few years. I consider myself a strong, independent woman; the thought of facing future biases because of my gender scares and infuriates me. This essay, however, showcased a ‘double whammy.’ I am a white female, and I have these fears and foresee obstacles in my future. However, there are female African American women who are facing even more hindrances. This essay was humbling and encouraged me to be aware that although I might worry about my own oppressiveness, there are others who have more than just their gender to overcome in the eyes of society.

The quote I’ve chose to unpack is, “I am learning to speak not as an “authority,” but as a learner, and to speak with humility as someone also implicated in the dynamics that I am simultaneously trying to undermine” (Russo). In my own words, instead of being gung-ho and passionate about women’s rights, I must be aware of my place within women’s rights (white woman,) and understand that there are other differences involved and attempt to learn from them. I can do this by listening, learning, and being empathetic to others in the situation. Although I believe I represent women as a whole, there is another divide that I might not think of because I am of the ‘privileged’ class that Russo characterizes (p. 35). I might believe myself to be standing up for all women’s rights, however, a black woman might see me as an overzealous woman complaining about being oppressed, when she feels that she really knows what it’s like.

To demonstrate this quote in a different sense, I will use an easy target: President Donald Trump. Some words that come to mind when I think of Donald Trump and his ideas, implications, and beliefs include: buffoon, narcissist, arrogant, and more than anything bully. In my opinion, he over exaggerates his authority and makes such generalizations that it is painfully clear he is speaking on behalf of one privileged class. His own. More than I have ever seen in my lifetime, people are feeling segregated and alienated. We are being led by a person who has no understanding, or takes in to consideration, the people as a whole. Perhaps because of his fortunate upbringing, he is unable to humble himself by listening and learning from people at the opposite end of the spectrum.

After reading the Russo essay, I now have another trait I desire in a leader and in myself: the ability to take a step back and listen. I hope to find a good balance of speaking and silence when standing up for what I believe in, and while in silence, actively listen to what others have to say and from that, develop empathy and genuine understanding for those different than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment